Saturday, October 26, 2013

I Heart the L.E.S.

Tonight I was invited to spin at Juke Bar, a new spot in the Lower East Side (http://www.yelp.com/biz/juke-bar-manhattan).  I fell in love with Juke Bar last month at their opening night as I was one of the lucky people that got to drink good beer and dance all night to DJ Spinna. I really had an appreciation for the diverse and non-pretentiously chic crowd. I also admired how the space had a lot of class but the ambiance was really warm and inviting.

On my way down to the gig tonight it occurred to me that I hadn't DJd in the Lower East Side for several years. I was surprised to come to this conclusion since I spent the first few years of my career ONLY DJing in the LES. I use to spin at BoBs, XVI, BlackStar Bar and this was like 100 years ago when I was a kid and happy to spin in exchange for free drinks. At the time I was actually a terrible DJ and was usually drunk by the second hour of my set. In fact one night I remember having a few too many tequila shots and randomly putting on a Gil Scott Heron record as I stumbled to the bathroom. I specifically remember hugging the toilet bowl as "The Bottle" was blaring in the back round and I was swearing to myself that I'd NEVER drink again. Ha. Well at least now I never drink while I'm working but when I first started spinning, DJing was just DJing to me, it was just something I loved to do and I never thought of it as work. My gig tonight brought me back to that sentiment (with out the whole sloppy drinking part of course).

Tonight I had blast, the crowd was awesome and I only played music that I love.  I also played a handful of the stuff I use to play when I first started spinning. I only played vinyl when I started and I didn't have a very extensive vinyl collection so I'd often repeat the same songs through out my set (geez I was awful). It feels good to know that I've come a long way and I must say that a spot like Juke Bar only proves the Lower East Side has come a long way too (even though Juke Bar does have a lot of that oldschool LES soul).

Check out a taste of tonight's set.


5 comments:

  1. After a decade in the NFL searching for the right pieces and the right team, Carson Palmer has found a home in Arizona. NFL Jerseys And the Cardinals want him to stay awhile.

    The team announced Friday that it signed Palmer to a three-year extension, which will keep him under contract through 2017. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the pact is worth $50 million with roughly $20 million guaranteed through 2015, according to a source who has seen the deal.


    It's a remarkable story for a quarterback nearly a decade removed from his playing for his only legitimate title-contending team -- the 2005 Cincinnati Bengals with Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Palmer tore his knee ligaments in the team's first Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes playoff game that season, sparking an NFL rule change and a wandering search for Palmer's mojo. Enter Bruce Arians.

    The Cardinals coach has an aggressive vertical style that complements Palmer's game, and the weapons to make him look better. Palmer is no longer a top-five quarterback like he once cheap sale jerseys was, but he still throws four to five passes each game that few quarterbacks could make. He's supported by NFL Jerseys Store a wildly talented supporting cast and a strong defense. Perhaps most importantly, he's learned to limit his mistakes.

    The contract extension indicates that Palmer will get more than just this season to win it all in Arizona, but we suspect very little is promised after 2015. Nike Roshe Run Palmer knows more than anyone this is a year-to-year league, and the Cardinals will likely build in contractual protection so they can easily move on from the 34-year-old if he nosedives new nike nfl jerseys or gets injured.

    The contract, however, does take the pressure off Arizona from finding a "quarterback of the future." They could still draft a quarterback to develop in the middle rounds next season if anyone strikes Arians' fancy, but they are comfortable with Palmer and backup wholesale jerseys Drew Stanton in the meantime. This Nike Air Max 90 Cardinals team has a chance to go deep in the playoffs, and Palmer must relish this final chance to rewrite his career.

    ReplyDelete