Sunday, September 8, 2013

Summer of 2013!

Whoa. After taking a moment to think about it, I realize that this was the busiest couple of months that I have ever had (as a DJ) in my entire career.  I DJd almost 100 gigs from the beginning of June to September. I averaged 6 gigs a week, including a handful of weeks that I DJd 8 gigs or more and there were several nights that I had more than one gig. INSANITY!! The summer just flew right past me but I DID manage to (kind of ) have a life which is very important to me:)

The one thing that I started doing this summer which I never did before was I started to record my DJ sets and the experience has been bittersweet to say the least. I should have started recording my sets a long time ago. The original purpose of recording my DJ sets were to share them on this blog. However this purpose has evolved into something much deeper, it has become a major growing experience for me. I could NOT believe how many bad habits I have: i.e.: I'm a little scratch happy, I let mixes bleed too long, I cut songs too short, and then there are a handful of random songs (that I don't even like) that seem to always wind up in my sets. A perfect example would be Chris Brown's She Aint You....WTF?! I hate that song! It's really weird but after thinking about it, it does make sense. The song samples human nature which makes it the perfect crossover song. I do crossover a lot so I tend to depend on certain tracks like this and I didn't even consciously realize it until it was popping up in ALL of my recordings.

(ANYWAY)

Of course I am hyper critical of my DJing and most of these issues will probably go unnoticed to the average listener. Recording my sets have also made me take a lot of pride in what I do. There is nothing more satisfying than hearing myself pull off a really difficult mix while making it sound so smooth and easy;)!!!

The following is the latest installation to my little "1st hour series" (for more info please visit an earlier post http://agirlsguidetodjaying.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-1st-hour.html) Please remember that it's live and it's raw but it's ME:)





9 comments:

  1. I really appreciate u sharing ur experience w recording ur mixes. It takes a certain type of woman to say this is what I liked that I did; but this is what I'd love to work on n share that. We're random fb friends but ur posts always seem genuine to me & this is my first time checking out ur blog. Just wanted to send props. Maybe we can chop it up one day woman dj to woman dj. Lol.

    ReplyDelete