Tuesday, July 2, 2013

I Ate The Fugu

In February I wrote a post about the Japanese Fugu fish http://agirlsguidetodjaying.blogspot.com/2013/02/eat-fugu.html. The Fugu fish was just a metaphor in this post. The post was really about how we (meaning people) need to take risks and do things that scare us in order to find a better version of ourselves.

At the time I was holding on to a FT job that I did love but I was holding on to it because I was afraid of becoming a full time DJ which is obviously my true passion. (Please note I was still DJing regularly so at the time I was basically working myself to dust).  I was living in an apartment that I was outgrowing and in a neighborhood that I found to be really boring. There were also a few other aspects  in my life that were making me feel just.... ordinary and I'm way too eccentric to settle for mediocrity. I needed to make some changes.

So....this was about 6 months ago and I have since quit my job and started DJing fulltime. I moved to an apartment in park slope which was too expensive for me when I signed the lease. I dyed my hair (ombre champagne) and the scariest thing I did was I started to practice Bikram Yoga. All of these things have started to pan out to the fullest and I don't even recognize myself anymore (in a really good way).

Before I started making changes people said I'd be crazy to do just about everything listed in the previous paragraph. I was just following my heart and if that makes me crazy then I am grateful for that quality in myself. I ate the Fugu (more than once) and I haven't been this happy in a very long time. I have never felt this strong.  I am a better version of myself and I feel like I am just getting started. I feel like the possibilities are endless and I needed  to share this story on my blog. This is a blog about music and DJing but it's also about a girl mixing her way thru life and every now and then I need to get a little personal:)

4 comments: