Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Good things REALLY DO happen!


After a long 'dry spell' I am finally starting to really get into some of the music that is coming to surface this summer.  Of course there is always a lot of great music being released every week but it makes me happy when good and 'healthy' music starts to hit the charts.  It's like when the dorky kid becomes "cool" for being smart. There is  an omnipresence of social responsibility in today's pop music and I personally find this trend to be very satisfying.

"I don't pop molly I rock Tom Ford" (Jay Z) is the current 'sing along' statement at every club right now. This anthem is also coming from one of the most credible voices in today's pop culture so this statement is inevitably going to have an impact on our impressionable youth.

 The song "same love" (macklemore) is currently in the top 5 of billboard's hot 100. There is absolutely NOTHING about this song that would make anyone believe it would have become a hit. The song is about gay rights. It's not "poppy" and the lyrical flow is really "wordy" and expressive. I am in awe of the commercial success of this song.  I feel it speaks volumes on how the world really is evolving. 

"I wear my heart on my sleeve, I know we the new slaves, I see the blood on the leaves" (kanye west). In all fairness no matter what people think about Kanye, he is expressing some deeply controversial opinions in yeezus that is (at the very least) driving his audience to think. God forbid a pop artist compels us to actually think! 

I  believe that most pop artists will filter their true opinions and thoughts before they risk losing credibility and record sales but this fear of popular opinion seems to be dissolving

What can I say.... I am a dork that doesn't do drugs and strongly believes in gay marriage. I also believe that racism is still rearing it's ugly face in our society. I've always been a righteous dork but finally I have the anthems to go along with my dorkyness Hopefully there will be more to come;)

4 comments: