Tuesday, July 30, 2013

For the Love of (Hating) Jay Z



I have been working on this post ever since Magna Carta was released two weeks ago and I can't seem to come to a conclusion. I've sifted though so many strong opinions that I'm actually having difficulty coming to an opinion of my own. It's kind of lame. I feel my thoughts are a bit tainted right now and this is not the type of post that will declare whether I think the album is good or bad. Jay Z is one of my favorite artists of all time so my thoughts are pretty complicated when it comes to Magna Carta.

All I have right now are some facts and observations:

"Magna Carta" debuted at number one and it currently has the second highest record sales of the year. In addition to the record sales: two of the songs (almost 3) on Magna Carta are currently the biggest hits on the dance floor (obviously this is my subjective opinion). What makes Magna Carta's record sales a phenomenon is that Jay Z is a man in his mid 40s who for the past decade has maintained a 'clean reputation'. In a marketplace that is dominated by 19-34 yr old consumers: most top selling artists are below the age of 30. Further more it has been statistically proven that record sales increase as a result of an artist's (especially rappers) negative behavior and criminal activities. Last but not least, Magna Carta has sold more copies in the first week than any other Jay - Z album did in the first week (thanks to samsung). Please note that record sales are currently half of what they use to be 15 years ago when Jay Z was supposedly at the apex of his career. My point? Jay Z's career and success is a true anomaly.......................

I understand why so many people hate Jay Z but I don't.......I love him. I'm just going to need a little more time to express what and how I TRULY think and feel about Magna Carta.

7 comments: