Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Fear of Success

A couple of weeks ago I made a decision that terrified me. I turned down my usual NYE gig because for the first time in over 10 years, I felt that I needed to. I currently have a full time job as manager at a live music venue located at the Carlton Hotel called Salon Millesime and we are hosting a major NYE party. I have written about this place many times on my blog. One of my primary responsibilities is booking the talent and curating the 'sonic landscape' of the establishment. This will be the first year since 1999 that I will not be in the DJ booth as I enter the new year. The first year that I will not have my headphones wrapped around my neck, the first year that I won't know what the first song will be and in truth I am terrified and my stomach has turned around in circles over it all.

It suddenly dawned on me however that the experiences I have encountered with this job have been truly extraordinary. I have produced concerts with some of my most talented friends including N'Dea Davenport and Carol C. of Si Se. I have assisted in engineering the sound for performances by artists like Ne-Yo, Estelle, Pras, Lil Kim and Miguel. I have handed the mic to artists like Jay-Z and Kanye. I have booked and toasted with legends in the making like Esperanza Spalding, Eric Lewis and Bob Mover. Last night I was talking to Talib Kweli as he was spinning at Millesime about booking him for a concert next month. I might not be DJing as much, but what I am creating and working on is so much greater than any DJ set could ever be. If anything, I am still DJing and selecting the music but through a much stronger and significantly more distinguished medium. To curate, produce, engineer and host live concerts with such incredible talent is actually a dream come true. They say success is not what and how much you achieve, but it is knowing and embracing success AS you are achieving it.

I have a had a lot of opportunities handed to me in life, but this job did not come easy. This is a position that I worked really hard to acquire and in order to be great at it, I must continue to work hard. In fact this might be the first "real" FT job that is truly fulfilling me.

I might be slightly shifting gears but I will never stop spinning. I will continue DJing at least once a week. I will continue writing about it too. I realized that the thing that makes my stomach turn about NYE is realizing that I am actually evolving, I am growing, I am achieving and succeeding and I find it to be simply terrifying. The world always seems so much safer with my headphones on but I have big things that I need to do and I can't accomplish any of them, if I continue to hide behind the DJ booth.

.

5 comments:

  1. After a decade in the NFL searching for the right pieces and the right team, Carson Palmer has found a home in Arizona. NFL Jerseys And the Cardinals want him to stay awhile.

    The team announced Friday that it signed Palmer to a three-year extension, which will keep him under contract through 2017. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the pact is worth $50 million with roughly $20 million guaranteed through 2015, according to a source who has seen the deal.


    It's a remarkable story for a quarterback nearly a decade removed from his playing for his only legitimate title-contending team -- the 2005 Cincinnati Bengals with Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Palmer tore his knee ligaments in the team's first Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes playoff game that season, sparking an NFL rule change and a wandering search for Palmer's mojo. Enter Bruce Arians.

    The Cardinals coach has an aggressive vertical style that complements Palmer's game, and the weapons to make him look better. Palmer is no longer a top-five quarterback like he once cheap sale jerseys was, but he still throws four to five passes each game that few quarterbacks could make. He's supported by NFL Jerseys Store a wildly talented supporting cast and a strong defense. Perhaps most importantly, he's learned to limit his mistakes.

    The contract extension indicates that Palmer will get more than just this season to win it all in Arizona, but we suspect very little is promised after 2015. Nike Roshe Run Palmer knows more than anyone this is a year-to-year league, and the Cardinals will likely build in contractual protection so they can easily move on from the 34-year-old if he nosedives new nike nfl jerseys or gets injured.

    The contract, however, does take the pressure off Arizona from finding a "quarterback of the future." They could still draft a quarterback to develop in the middle rounds next season if anyone strikes Arians' fancy, but they are comfortable with Palmer and backup wholesale jerseys Drew Stanton in the meantime. This Nike Air Max 90 Cardinals team has a chance to go deep in the playoffs, and Palmer must relish this final chance to rewrite his career.

    ReplyDelete