Thursday, October 20, 2011

Esperanza

Every now and then, I look up and around the universe and yell "THANK YOU" because I love my life. These moments are usually found in musical experiences much like the experience I had being (somewhat) apart of Ezperanza Spalding's Birthday Jam Session. (I say somewhat because NO I wasn't jamming with these musicians). For those who DONT know, Ezperanza is the first Jazz artist to win the "BEST NEW ARTIST" Grammy in 2011 and she was up against a few other singer/musicians including some kid named Justin Beiber.

This girl is truly amazing and this past Tuesday I was in a room of about 50-100 musicians who were also her closet friends as they jammed the night away. It felt historic. I have read so many stories of coltrane at birdland, or dizzy at vanguard and I was actually living the tale of Esperanza at Millesime. It was a 4-5hr continuous jam session. It was divine. It was an honor and it made me grateful for every note and every split second that I was there. It's moments like this that make me realize that this is everything and this is why I do what I do.

4 comments: