Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Trust

Trust can be a delicate subject and everybody has their own interpretation of trust. I was always raised to believe that trust (much like respect)can only be earned. Trust cant be given, demanded or taken. With that said I spend almost every gig earning the trust of the crowd. I need for them to trust my expertise, to trust that I am there FOR them and that I know what I’m doing and how I’m going to do it but half of the time, I don’t have a clue. I don’t know if I will get them dancing and I don’t know if I will bring good energy into their night. All I do know is that I can because most of the time I want to and that is kind of all that matters.

Every now and then I might come across a group or crowd that just won’t give me a chance. I could play all the 'right' songs in the 'right' way, but something just wont let them surrender their hang ups for just one night. Maybe I started the set in the wrong way and even though I tried to change it as fast as I could, they just won’t get over the fact that I even thought of playing a 'color me badd' song. Or maybe it was the kind of hip-hop I played at one point, (too aggressive) or it could of just been that I was too inaccessible with those rare grooves and lounge tracks. It is possible that I may spend the rest of the gig just trying as hard as I can, and I may never really have their trust and faith in me as a DJ. But when I leave and go home for the night, I know that I did the best that I could. No matter what, I still put in the effort and I never stopped trying until the very last song. Some may say that those nights are just failures, but in truth I believe those nights make me stronger and make me a better DJ.

4 comments: