Thursday, July 8, 2010

Anthony Hamilton...I'm Feelin you!


At the beginning of December 09, I found myself in midst of a little dilemma. It was the end of a decade, and I felt compelled to choose the best albums, songs and artists. The problem with that is, I am really bad at being put on the spot. I tend to decide my 'favorites' on my own terms and in my own time.

Earlier this evening, I realized that Anthony Hamilton, is in my opinion the best R&B artist to come out in the 00s. I came to this conclusion when I dropped Can't Let Go at the end of my DJ set. At this point the lounge was pretty empty, but as soon as I played that track, it was as if the room was brimming with energy. With a BPM (beats per minute) less than 1/3 of the average 'club' record, I have to say there is something to be said about the raw emotion and soul that pours out of that song. Anthony Hamilton has a way of effortlessly creating a sound and an emotion that seems so familiar yet it feels completely new.


4 comments: