Saturday, April 10, 2010

Outcast




How to DJ for a crowd that I can't relate to:

Sometimes, I will look around a room from the DJ booth and realize that I probably would not 'hang out' with anybody that's in the crowd. Obnoxious? Maybe. Oddly enough, it is usually the most simple and 'generic' crowd. The weekend crowd. The so called 'bridge and tunnel' crowd. The crowd where everyone looks, dresses and reacts the same. I use to think I was 'better' and 'cooler' than this particular crowd. It wasn't until recently I realized my elitist views were just a reflection of my own insecurities. I never really 'fit in' to 'the mainstream' crowd. I was always different. Against the grain. Sometimes I would try so hard to be just like everyone else. Every time I would try, I would only walk further away from who I really am. Sometimes I have to remind myself that if I was just like everyone else, than I'd never be that girl in the DJ booth. I would never be the girl that mixes MGMT into Jay-Z into Madonna in a way that makes perfect sense. If I was just like everyone else, than I wouldn't have anything worth writing about that would be of any interest to any normal person.

So, whether I relate to a crowd or not, I can still 'rock the house, I can rock ANY house'. Music is a universal language, and I speak it very well.

4 comments: