Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Precious Girls

The truth is, I had no interest or desire to see the movie Precious. For the past three years, I have been working with teenagers who come from very extreme cases of abuse. Before I move forward, let me clear it up by explaining my work with "at risk" youth started in 2006 when I launched a DJ program at an RTC. Aside from the fact that this blog is based on music and DJing, I don't discuss the RTC or the teenagers I work with, mainly because of the anonymity of the program.

In the past I have found that films that focus on this particular population of "at risk" youth, never seem to capture the emotions, the truth or the reality of their circumstance. These films always seem to be about an 'inspiring' third party character, an outsider who comes into the 'poor little' children's world to "save the day".

The movie Precious however is such a raw and real story. A masterpiece of the painful truth. The film is such a precise and valid depiction of adolelscent girls in "the system". I am speaking mainly about the school scenes, and Precious's interactions with her peers, teacher and case worker. The characteristics of these scenes are almost unbearably real.

I, however am not writing this to praise the movie, as the movie has already received it's well deserved recognition. I am writing this to praise the girls, all the girls I have worked with and to the girls I hope to work with in the future. Everyday I am grateful to have the honor to be touched by the strength of your soul. I am grateful to have received your faith, and trust. Many of you have asked why I work with you and it's because the opportunity of getting to know you has changed my life and made me a better person. I can only hope that I have changed your life for the better too.

8 comments: