Monday, February 8, 2010

I Miss Buying CDs


When I was in HS, I would save and spend my money on my three basic needs: Music, clothes and chocolate. Well, not so much chocolate but it was, has been and always will be a necessity in my life.

In either case, the idea of having to save and spend money on music today is almost a joke. When I was in HS, the only way to listen to my favorite song/artist (at the time)would be to either pay $15 for the CD, wait for it on the radio or dub a copy from a friend on to a cassette tape. It sounds so ancient just describing it, as any and all songs anyone could ever want now are just a click away.

I never thought I'd say it, but I miss the old ways of buying music. I miss the feeling I'd have as I was getting ready to go out and buy 'that' CD that I wanted. I miss the subway ride to Tower Records on Broadway and 66th. I miss walking through the store and stopping here and there to one of the listening stations to check out a new artist. I miss the anticipation, excitement I felt as I struggled to open the annoying plastic CD wrap. I miss the subway ride home as I listened to 'that' song that I had to buy the whole CD to listen to. I miss it, I never thought I would, but I really miss it. When I put it all together and realize WHAT it is that I miss, I miss buying CDs.

6 comments: