Saturday, January 9, 2010

When 'greatness' falls asleep or smokes too much.....


I will never forget where I was and what I was doing when I first heard D'angelo's 'brown sugar'. It would probably be best to keep the details of this occurrence to myself, but it was love at first sound.

D'angelo has been on my mind lately because I was recently re-organizing my vinyl collection and I came across the 'Untitled' 12" (mint condition btw). I also remember where I was and what I was doing when I first saw the video for 'untiled' and it was love at first sight and sound.

Now over decade later, I want to know where this beautiful and ingenious piece of GOD's work has been. I actually had the honor of seeing him perform for a small intimate audience back in 1998. It was an unforgettable experience.

Rumor has it that D'Angelo has been working on his third album 'James River' for quite some time and it's release date has yet to be determined. I can't help but think about how much has happened through out the world since his last album. Terrorists, War, the Collapse of the economy, the collapse of the music buisness, etc.

Well, new album or no new album, D'angelo is already a legend. Besides, I've always preffered quality over quantity. There is more artistic integrity and talent in D'Angelo's two albums than there will ever be in the entire career of most artists that are out now.


AGGDJ

4 comments: