Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Head Phobia


I was riding the train the other day, and listening to my I-Pod. My I-pod headphones had broke so I was using my large and loud DJ headphones. I usually have my I-pod on shuffle and the song "I think we're alone now" by Tiffany came on. Yes, I will repeat that "I think we're alone now"the late 80s song/cover by the cheesy, red headed, pop princess Tiffany.

After the first hook, I noticed a couple in their mid to early 30s sitting next to me. They were giggling and snickering. I realized that they could hear what I was listening to and at first I was embarrassed and turned the volume down. The truth is, I should of just been cautious of the volume as it is rude to blast headphones on a subway, as the people sitting next to you get to hear an annoying 'trebled' version of whatever it is you are listening to.

In either case, after thinking of it I thought to myself, why should I be embarrassed? I could put up a cool and trendy image of myself and start playing some pretentious Buddha bar stuff, which I have in my I-pod. If I was sitting next to a bunch of teenagers I could rock some Panic at the Disco, Jay-Z or The Ting Tings, I could even rock some Old School Wu-Tang or Nas, and if I was sitting amongst a bunch of uppity adults I could rock some Miles Davis, Alison Krauss, Coltrane, Norah Jones and even Mozart.

But why? Who Cares? My love of music encompasses a massive range of styles. Yes, What? I have Tiffany on my I-Pod along with several other sugary pop artists like Terrence Trent D'arby, New Edition, and New Kids on The Block (oh yes I do).

So, when the Tiffany song reached the last verse, I decided to up the volume a few notches and smile. Why did I smile? because it is within these silly little moments that I'm just being myself and I really don't mind when strangers get the chance to see or hear a piece of who I am;)

8 comments:

  1. I love your blog and this story is one of the reasons why.

    L

    ReplyDelete