Friday, January 1, 2010

As the Ball Drops.......


(January 1st 2010, 12:15am, in the DJ booth at Marquee)

I usually try to determine (before my DJ set) what the first song of the year will be. I had decided a week or so ago that I was going to spin a nice lil MJ/Jackson 5 medley. A couple of days ago, I had a change of heart, but was not sure. It really wasn't until about 20minutes before the beginning of the decade that I new exactly what song I needed to rock. MJ was an incredible artist, and his music will grace 'the dancefloor' forever, but I didn't want to ring in the new year with a sonic symbol of someone we tragically lost, I wanted to bring it in with a symbol of unity, love, ambition, hope, grace and determination. I know the song (I chose) is so 'played', but oddly enough it wasn't until around 11:40ish that I realized, amongst all of the 'hits' that I had already played so far, I still hadn't played 'Empire State of Mind'. There was no doubt that, that was what the first song of the decade needed to be.

As soon as the countdown ended, I dropped the track and on came that thick and heavy kick, and instantly everyone knew exactly what it was and went absolutely crazy (and that just goes to show how played out the song really is, if a 'commercial' crowd can recognize the first few bars, but that really didn't matter to me). The song just has a way of making everyone inside a NYC club feel like they are all apart of something great. I realized, that though I had no one to kiss this year, (and I didn't invite anyone of my friends to Marquee, since I wasn't up to finagling any free tix), I was still spinning at the hottest club in New York City, a mecca of night life, on the biggest club night on the universe and I just made a massive group of complete strangers absolutely estatic. As far as I'm concern, at this point in my life, I don't thing I'd trade that in for the world. So, just like the song, I came into the decade surrounded in unity and full of love, ambition, hope, grace and determination. Happy New Year:)

4 comments: