Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Cure


As I nurse my seasonal fall/winter cold, I can't help but think of all of the common cold remedies. To be honest it seems everyone has their own personal cure. Get rest, well duh...but I recently read that too much sleep slows down your system and prevents your immune system from exercising (or something like that). I am sure there is some medical jargon that would describe it better. Eat well (again... duh) except when you eat too much while you are sick, your body works harder to digest the food instead of working towards making you feel better. Then there are all those homeopathic vitamins from echinacea, to golden seal, zinc, the saline in the nose thing and of course vitamin C.

Well, for some reason the only thing that makes me feel better when I am sick is chocolate. I know it makes no sense, and of course this is only when I have a cold, not a stomach flu. Something about the endorphins and rush I feel when eating a good piece of chocolate, just makes me feel better. Yes, chocolate always makes me feel better no matter what. The way I see it, the common cold needs to run it's course, you can take all the medicine and vitamins that you want but at the end of the day you just have to accept that you are sick for a couple of days to a week. The only thing you can focus on are the small things that will make you feel better in the moment. Well, when it comes to these situations, I truly believe that chocolate is the cure to everything;)

4 comments: